Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates Family Law, Bankruptcy, Landlord Tenant Law, Personal Injury
Call Today : 703-650-0367

How do you change child support orders in Virginia?

Many Virginia couples would agree that following a divorce, the children are the worst affected. As parents fight, children feel insecure and unhappy. Many couples forget that although they might have fallen out of love, their children likely still want their parents to live under the same roof. In keeping the best interests of the children in mind, most U.S. courts, including those in Virginia, order one parent to take child custody and asks the other to pay child support.

Sometimes, the situation may drastically change for a parent. The earnings may rise or hit a low. Such a change in circumstances merits a change in child support orders as well. There are many other reasons when a parent wants a change in child support order, such as if the order has not been reviewed for three years or if a child is no longer eligible child support. If the healthcare coverage of the child has decreased or increased by 25 percent, the existing support order does not take this into consideration.

How do you change child support order in Virginia? The parents should call the Virginia Division of Child Support Enforcement's customer care number or get in touch through the Virginia Department of Social Services' website. This has details on all the child support district offices in Virginia. There is a child support request review form available online on the site.

If a parent is imprisoned, the parent will not be granted child support modifications, since imprisonment is considered voluntary unemployment. However, there is no review request form for an imprisoned parent.

Source:, "Changing a Child Support Order in Your State," accessed on Jan. 26, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates
124 South Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-650-0367
Fax: 703-836-3549
Alexandria Law Office Map

Toll Free: 703-650-0367 | Fax: 703-836-3549

Back To Top