Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates Family Law, Bankruptcy, Landlord Tenant Law, Personal Injury
Call Today : 703-650-0367

Failure to pay child support can lead to penalties

Virginia residents may agree that divorce often creates a difficult emotional situation for children. They feel insecure as their parents engage in a war of words. What some parents fail to recognize is that while they might have fallen out of love, their children still want them to live together under the same roof. Constantly keeping the best interest of the child in mind, the Virginia courts generally grant custody to one parent. The other parent is usually ordered to pay child support.

The parent who has been ordered to pay child support must understand that it is mandatory to pay, in Virginia as well as everywhere else in the country. However, sometimes, a parent may stop paying child support. So, what are the custodial parent's options? In an earlier post, we discussed that the custodial parent should immediately contact the district office that is in charge of that particular child custody case. At that point, it may be helpful for the custodial parent to consult an attorney who can offer the proper legal advice regarding the next step to take.

The Virginia law firm of Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates has many years of experience at handling family law matters, including child support. The child support office will advise the parent to wait 10 days before taking any action against the non-custodial parent. Even if the custodial parent does not receive the child support payment at that point, an attorney may be able to facilitate communication between the custodial parent and the child support enforcement division.

Failure to pay child support may mean that the non-custodial parent will face federal charges. Normally, parents are asked to contact the state authorities; however, a parent may still wish to contact the federal government in the event that the non-custodial parent is a repeat offender. In that case, the custodial parent may also need the support of an attorney who can offer advice on how to proceed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates
124 South Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-650-0367
Fax: 703-836-3549
Alexandria Law Office Map

Toll Free: 703-650-0367 | Fax: 703-836-3549

Back To Top