Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates Family Law, Bankruptcy, Landlord Tenant Law, Personal Injury
Call Today : 703-650-0367

How can I modify child support?

If you are paying child support in Virginia and having issues paying due to a change in your finances, you may be able to request a modification. According to the Office of Child Support Enforcement, you have the right to request a change in your child support payments. However, you are limited as to when you can make such a modification.

You have the right to have a review of your case every 36 months. You also can request a modification if there is a change in your income or the income of the child's other parent of at least 25 percent. If you have had a change in health care costs of at least 25 percent or a change in child care expenses of at least 25 percent, then you also may request a review of your case. If you have had another child with your child's other parent or there have been custody changes, you can file for a change in support.

Keep in mind that any review will be done using the state's child support guidelines. Your income and the income of your child's other parent will be considered. The modification can lower or raise the payments. In some cases, no changes may be made at all.

You have to submit your modification request in writing to the office that handles your case. In your request, you need to explain why you are making it. You will then need to provide financial records. The court will review all the information received and make a decision. You may or may not have to attend a hearing. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates
124 South Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-650-0367
Fax: 703-836-3549
Alexandria Law Office Map

Toll Free: 703-650-0367 | Fax: 703-836-3549

Back To Top