Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates Family Law, Bankruptcy, Landlord Tenant Law, Personal Injury
Call Today : 703-650-0367

Child Support Archives

When is the time to request a child support modification?

When you receive the final court order for child support in Virginia, it is important that you understand it is not actually permanent. You can request a modification later if a need arises. Modifications are allowed by law. They must be done through the court, though. If you try to modify your payments outside of court, between you and the child's other parent, then you will run into issues with the state, which collects fees on all your payments. 

What are some facts about child support?

If you have a child and are no longer in a relationship with your child's other parent, you may be dealing with child support. Child support is a payment made by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent to help pay for the child's needs. According to the Virginia Department of Social Services, when figuring child support, the court considers many factors, such as childcare expenses, health insurance expenses, the number of children and the incomes of both parents.

Calculating child support in a VA divorce

When couples file for divorce in Virginia, children are often left to go through major emotional and financial changes in their lives. As a way to minimize some of these dramatic changes, the court will issue a child support order to the non-custodial parent in the case. Child support is designed to bridge the financial gap that children often experience when they are forced to move into a new home and adapt to a new lifestyle.

Establishing paternity important for child support

Child support can be a crucial resource for ensuring that children are healthy, happy and provided for following a divorce or separation. Establishing paternity is often an important step for Virginia parents seeking child support, and it offers many benefits for the children involved.

How does Virginia help keep track of child support payments?

If child support payments are ordered by a family court in Virginia after a divorce, the state's Department of Social Services will make sure that these payments are made on time and that they are correctly accounted for. But since these payments can take place over many years, it can be difficult to keep an accurate accounting of them. So, how does the state help the parent who pays child support keep track of these payments?

Situations when a parent should seek a child support modification

Even though a divorce decree can seem final, there are times when a former spouse can seek modifications in the terms of their divorce. Perhaps the parent wants to modify the child custody agreement. Or if they are the non-custodial parent, they may need to request a change in their child support payments. However, seeking a change in their child support payments may only occur during certain specific situations. Here are a few situations that may require a child support modification.

Methods of collection for delinquent child support in Virginia

When a couple with children divorces, a court often decides that one of the parents should have primary custody of the child, while the other parent is designated the non-custodial parent. The non-custodial parent will then have to provide monthly child support payments to the custodial parent. However, a parent may stop making these payments for any number of reasons. In situations where this occurs, the state of Virginia can use a variety of methods to help enforce a child support order.

Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Information

Jeffrey A. Vogelman and Associates
124 South Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-650-0367
Fax: 703-836-3549
Alexandria Law Office Map

Toll Free: 703-650-0367 | Fax: 703-836-3549

Back To Top